Logitech G Driving Force Shifter
- Affordable price compared to other models on the market
- Elegant design and solid build quality
- Pleasant driving feeling thanks to short gear changes, smooth transitions and realistic feedback
- Compatibility with multiple platforms, bases and steering wheels (not just Logitech brand)
- Lack of stability when holding the gearshift lever if it is not properly attached or supported
- Only 6 speeds, which may not be enough for high performance cars with 7 speeds
- Plastic noise during gear shifting can affect the feeling and realism during the race
- No gear marks on the knob, only the gear positions are indicated
- Requires a specific adapter to work with other brands of bases or wheels, and does not work on PlayStation 3
Our rating : 8.9/10
For the biggest fans of racing simulation gamesThe 21st century has been a great revolution. Today, it is possible to recreate almost exactly what it feels like to drive a real race car, all from the comfort of your home. And to do this, why limit yourself to a simple steering wheel when you can do things in a big way and equip yourself with a complete set? After the steering wheel and the pedals, the gearshift is clearly the the essential accessory if you want to live a complete a complete immersion in the race.
That’s why we decided to take a look at one of Logitech’s gear shifters and test it for you: the Logitech G Driving Force Shifter. In this article, we will tell you everything you need to know about main characteristics of this model, to which type of player suitable for, we will tell you what are its advantages and disadvantages, how much it costs and where you can get it.
Logitech G Driving Force Shifter features
The shifter Logitech G Driving Force Shifter is an add-on module mid-range add-on generally intended to accompany the Logitech G29 and G920 steering wheels.
Here is a list of the main features of this model:
- Thanks to a solid steel drive shaftthe Logitech G Driving Force shifter is made from high quality materials for precision racing and offers long lasting reliability.
- The control knob and primer are covered with high quality leather, hand-stitchedThis provides the same feel as a high-performance shifter, giving you a long-lasting, comfortable experience.
- The Logitech G Driving Force Shifter is a six-speed “H” lever with reverse gear engagement by pressureIt moves smoothly and engages securely in every gear. It is designed to ensure easy and precise gear changes during hairpin turns and nervous acceleration.
- This gearbox is equipped with a magnetic sensor without contact.
- Logitech’s G Driving Force shifter is designed for the G923, G29(PlayStation and PCwheels ) and G920 (for Xbox and PC) racing wheels, for the ultimate experience with the latest console or PC racing games.
- This Logitech model is equipped with a secure mounting for racing simulators but it can also be fixed on a table or another support.
- Dimension: 17.6 x 14.6 x 20.6 cm (L x W x H)
- Weight without cable: 0.72 kg – Weight (including cable): 0.76 kg
For what type of person?
In our opinion, the Logitech D Driving Force Shifter is perfectly suited for beginners who want to who want to learn the world of Sim-Racing and build a complete set-up.
More experienced players may also enjoy this model, although they may be a little disappointed compared to other higher-end models.
We specifically recommend it to arcade-style racing playerse where the focus is more on driving than racing. For games like Gran Turismo, Project Cars 2 or iRacing, the more experienced among you may prefer paddle shifters to Logitech‘s G Driving Force Shifter.
In testing the Logitech G Driving Force Shifterwe were able to see for ourselves what the advantages of this model of shifter are.
First of all, one of the biggest advantages of the Logitech G Driving Force shifter is obviously its price. This model is indeed available at a price that is much more affordable compared to other models currently sold on the market, for example those of the brand Thrustmaster. This low price does not detract from the many qualities of this gearbox.
Because if the Logitech G Driving Force Shifter is not expensive, it still offers a beautiful design and a and a very good quality of manufacture. This power shifter definitely offers much more than its price, as it is lined with hand-stitched leather on the base and handle, which helps maximize the realistic feel and is definitely a plus for this gearbox. The construction is very resistant thanks to the robust steel axis which allows a very good reliability, a good precision and a good longevity to the product.
We were also seduced by the sensations that the Logitech G Driving Force Shifter gave us. Despite the fact that it is partly made of plastic, we really appreciated the feeling when holding it. The gear changes are fairly short, which is ideal for fast racing and allows for quick and smooth transitions between gears. The return and the sensations are good and realistic.
Finally, the Logitech G Driving Force Shifter offers a wide compatibility since it works equally well with the PC, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. It can also be mounted on many bases and coupled with many steering wheels, not only from Logitech.
Given its price, it is inevitable that the Logitech G Driving Force Shifter is not perfect. Thanks to our test, we were able to discover what the disadvantages of this model were.
In our opinion, one of the big drawbacks of the Logitech G Driving Force Shifter is its lack of stability. Shifting gears in a race requires fairly quick and abrupt movements of the gearshift, which naturally means you’re going to be forcing the gearshift itself a bit. If it’s not properly attached or you don’t have the proper support, you’ll find yourself unintentionally moving the lever every time you change gears, which requires constant adjustment that is not the most pleasant.
Another point of the Logitech G Driving Force Shifter that disappointed us is thatit has only one H-gear and offers only 6 forward speeds. If you drive a high performance car, you’ll often find them with 7 speeds, so you can’t get there with the shifter alone, you’ll have to use the paddles for the final transition.
This could be an important point to consider before buying it.
While the design of the Logitech G Driving Force Shifter is nice, in our opinion this model doesn’t really look like a real gearbox. Moreover, when shifting gears, the lever makes a plastic noise, which is really a pity and plays on the sensations and the realism during the race. Also, the gears are not marked on the knob, only the gear positions are indicated.
Finally, you have to take into account that the Logitech G Driving Force shifter is, in theory, only compatible with the G29 and G920 steering wheels of the brandbut is only sold separately. If you want to use it with another brand of base or steering wheel, you will need to invest in a specific adapter. However, this will only allow you to use it on PC, not on console. It should also be noted that this model is certainly compatible with the PlayStation 4 but, on the other hand, it does not work on PlayStation 3.
Where to get it and for how much?
The Logitech D Driving Force Shifter is sold for € 59.99 on the official website of the Logitech brand.
You can also find it at a lower price depending on promotions at other retailers. For example, it is currently available in promotion on Amazon.com
You can take a look at used product buying and selling sites, where you can regularly find Sim-racing products at attractive prices. However, pay attention to the conditions of the product before you decide to buy it.
Overall, we found that the Logitech G Driving Force Shifter is a very good complement to the G29/G920 steering wheel. Even if for some it does not seem to be essential, this gearshift adds a lot of realism to your races and is a good way to test your performance with a manual gearbox.
This model is really very affordable and, even if it does not work miracles, it still offers many advantages compared to other models on the market. His quality of manufacture makes it a product with a good longevity but it is also very fluid in the passage of the speeds which offers a real comfort during the game.
If you have a small budget and dream of getting a manual gearbox, don’t hesitate, the Logitech G Driving Force Shifter is made for you!
Logitech G Driving Force Shifter
Affordable and comfortable shifting