Fanatec ClubSport Shifter SQ V1.5
- Equipped with two gear shift knobs that can be easily screwed on and off.
- Possibility to switch from the sequential to the H-pattern by pressing a switch.
- Robust and durable build quality.
- Very good feeling during the game.
- Wide compatibility (Xbox, PC and Playstation)
- The H-box requires a lot of practice to use correctly.
- 7th gear is difficult to access and may take some time to handle.
- Weight of 3.28 kg and bulky size can be annoying for some users.
Our rating : 8.9/10
Simulation racing has become much more than a hobby for many players. If most amateurs consider the gearshift as an accessory that is not necessary to play, they miss out on the the realistic sensations it provides and a definite advantage to improve their performance.
As with all of Sim-Racing’s products, it’s not always easy to decide which brand or model to choose when building a complete set-up.
To help you in this choice, we decided to test for you a very successful shifter: the Fanatec ClubSport Shifter SQ V1.5.
In this article, we will tell you the main characteristics of this model, for which type of player we recommend it, what are its advantages and disadvantages, its price, or where you can get it.
Features of the Fanatec ClubSport Shifter SQ V1.5
The Fanatec ClubSport Shifter SQ V1.5 is a high-end gearbox that enhances your driving experience by complementing your racing simulation equipment.
We have listed its main characteristics:
- Year of release: 2016
- The Fanatec ClubSport Shifter SQ V1.5 was designed as areplica of the Porsche 911 gearbox.
- Fanatec’s ClubSport Shifter SQ V1.5 includes both H mode and sequential mode to allow more flexibility and driving comfort. You can switch from H mode to ultra-realistic sequential mode without having to disconnect or restart the shift lever, without having to remove the shift knob, and without even needing a tool.
- Fanatec’s SQ V1.5 shifter featuresa reverse gear with inhibitor to prevent accidental shifting and make handling more realistic.
- This Fanatec model comes with two shift knobs shift knobs: one is cylindrical cylindrical and the other is spherical. Both are therefore removable and this model is also compatible with the knobs sold at car dealers.
- The Fanatec ClubSport Shifter SQ V1.5 can be used when connected to a Fanatec wheel base or as a stand-alone PC-based device using the ClubSport USB adapter.
- This gearbox is compatible with the entire Fanatec ecosystem.
- The ClubSport Shifter SQ can also be used on PlayStation or Xbox in games that support shifters, if connected via a Fanatec wheel base or racing wheel that is compatible with that platform.
- Weight: 3,28 kg
For what type of person?
We do not recommend the Fanatec ClubSport Shifter SQ V1.5 to those who use their steering wheel fixed on a table because they simply will not be able to use it. The unit is large, so it would be impossible to bolt it to your table top.
On the other hand, this Fanatec gearbox is perfect for those who have a cockpit since it can be mounted directly on the base, as long as you have a suitable place to mount it.
In our opinion, this is a gearshift that is very suitable for experienced players but can also be suitable for less regular players who want to improve their racing performance.
The test of the Fanatec ClubSport Shifter SQ V1. 5 gave us the opportunity to discover all the advantages that this model offers.
In our opinion, one of the biggest advantages of Fanatec’s SQ V1.5 is that it includes both a sequential mode and an H mode. It is also equipped with two gear shift knobs, which is not negligible. They screw and unscrew easily, allowing you to change your shift mode on the fly.
In addition, this shifter offers the ability to switch from sequential to H-shift by simply pressing a switch. There is a button on the side of the base that allows you to switch instantly between the two modes. A huge advantage, in our opinion, compared to competing models on the market.
The Fanatec ClubSport Shifter SQ V1.5 also won us over with its very high manufacturing quality. The brand has, as usual, made the choice of very good quality materials that place this model directly in the top of the range. This model is robust, the changes are instantaneous and strong. With the strength of this gearbox, you will be equipped to play for a long time
Another advantage of the Fanatec ClubSport Shifter SQ V1.5 is that it offers a really good feeling during really good feeling during the game. The H-mode has 8 gears including 7 speeds and a reverse mode, which is ideal for driving the latest cars. The mechanical nature of the shifter as well as the technology built into it is exceptional. Both modes are designed to give you a real, realistic feel while racing.
Finally, Fanatec’s ClubSport SQ V1.5 shifter offers wide compatibility since it works on Xbox and PC as well as on Playstation (depending on the Fanatec wheel you use). It also works with other brands on PCs, which in total gives you access to a very long list of compatible games.
Despite its many advantages, the Fanatec ClubSport Shifter SQ V1.5 is not perfect and our test revealed what its drawbacks are.
We first noticed that the H box box of the Fanatec ClubSport Shifter SQ V1.5 required a lot of training for proper use. It’s hard to imagine a beginner getting it right the first time. The 7th gear is difficult to access, you have to press the lever and push to the right, a manipulation that can take a little time and is not so useful since cars with 7 gears are quite rare.
We also noted that the SQ V1.5 still weighs 3.28 kg, which is rather heavy and its size is bulky. This is something to consider if you have a somewhat fragile setup. The weight can put a strain on weaker simulation platforms, which can be problematic for some people.
Then, one of the drawbacks of the Fanatec ClubSport Shifter SQ V1.5 is its price. It is not a product that is accessible to all since it costs more than 250 €. It should also be taken into account that it does not include any hanging system (optional for 40 €), nor USB connection or universal support. The USB adapter(ClubSport USB Adapter) is sold separately for an additional €25. This represents a very significant budget that not everyone can afford.
Finally, we were somewhat disappointed by the lack of instructions provided with the ClubSport Shifter SQ V1.5. Indeed, Fanatec has chosen not to include any paper instructions and the information provided on the brand’s website is only available in English. For those who only speak French, the configuration and calibration of the gearshift can be complicated.
Where to get it and for how much?
The Fanatec ClubSport Shifter SQ V1.5 is available for sale on the official website of Fanatec at the price of 259,95 €.
Please note that the German manufacturer Fanatec has no partnership with any reseller. Therefore, all its products can only be purchased on the official website of the brand, you will not find them elsewhere.
You can eventually find the SQ V1.5 from Fanatec on second hand websites such as Vinted or Le Bon Coin. However, we recommend that you be vigilant and check the condition of the gearbox to avoid unpleasant surprises.
We recommend the Fanatec ClubSport Shifter SQ V1.5 for anyone looking to expand their Fanatec simulation platform. It is extremely well constructed and offers a versatility in a wide range of driving styles. The adjustments you can make to the strength are excellent.
L’immersion that it brings, the incredibly realistic sensations it provides, as well as the adaptability and quality of construction, make it a must-have accessory for any racing simulation set.
If you still had doubts about the SQ V1.5 from Fanatec, we hope that reading our article will have convinced you that this is a product that will not disappoint you!
Fanatec ClubSport Shifter SQ V1.5
The best shifter on the market