Fanatec Clubsport Formula V2.5
- Superb design and build quality
- Very good ergonomics
- Highly customizable
- Very good driving sensation
- Powerful and lively return of force
- Quite expensive
- Quite heavy
- Somewhat limited Xbox model
Our rating : 9.8/10
In the world of Sim-racing, the German manufacturer Fanatec has placed itself among the market leaders. Their different product lines are all the rage thanks to their varied prices and their very good quality of manufacture.
As for their ClubSport line, everything from the pedals to the shift knobs to the steering wheels are made from luxury materials and feature professional quality finishes.
That’s why we decided to take a look at one of the products of this Fanatec ClubSport range, the famous Formula V2.5 steering wheel.
In this article, we will tell you in detail about the specific features of this model, what type of player it is best suited for, its advantages and disadvantages, its price and where you can get it.
The characteristics of the Fanatec Formula V2.5 steering wheel
The Steering Wheel Fanatec Clubsport Steering Wheel Formula V2.5steering wheel, more simply called Formula V2is one of the iconic models in Fanatec’s Fanatec Clubsport line.
We have listed its main characteristics:
- Year of release: 2019
- The Fanatec Clubsport Steering Wheel Formula V2.5 is a Formula style steering wheel with a diameter of 27 cm.
- This model is made of metal and carbon fiber, with Alcantara handles and rubber surfaces, including the button frame and thumb encoders.
- The Fanatec Formula V2.5 has adjustable magnetic metal paddles. These can be upgraded to the Podium Advanced Paddle Module, which adds a dual clutch paddle system and two pairs of magnetic paddles with 3mm thick carbon fiber plates.
- The wheel has two vibration motors built into the handles, which are controllable through the wheel setup menu (SHO) or per set via Fanatec SDK.
- On the Fanatec Formula V2 steering wheel you will find 11 buttons as well as four paddles with ultra-reliable switches including two 2-way toggle switches, two 12-way multi-position switches with encoder functionality as well as a 7-way FunkySwitch, an analog Joystick and two thumb encoders that can be easily accessed while driving without releasing the handles.
- This model features an OLED display to show telemetry information and steering wheel adjustments.
- It also has a tachometer with 9 central LEDs for telemetry and two LED bars.
- The Fanatec Formula V2.5 steering wheel is compatible with the PC, PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 5. The Fanatec brand offers an almost identical version, the Formula V2.5X for Xbox compatibility.
- This model is equipped with the QR1 system (ClubSport Quick Release Adapter), which means that the wheel can be easily upgraded to the next generation QR2 system (coming soon).
- The Fanatec Formula V2 wheel is also compatible with all the accessories of the Fanatec ecosystem (pedals, shifters, etc.)
- To operate this product, a compatible Fanatec wheel base is required.
- Dimensions: 31 cm x 21 cm x 19.5 cm (L x W x H)
- Weight: 1.7 kg
For what type of person?
As its name suggests, the Fanatec Clubsport Steering Wheel Formula V2.5 has been designed for the F1 fans.. It is clearly a model that is perfectly suited to single-seater enthusiasts.
This is not a wheel we recommend for beginners. It is likely that they will quickly feel lost in the midst of all the buttons and adjustments to be made. In our opinion, the Fanatec Formula V2 is best suited for regular or more experienced players.
The Clubsport Steering Wheel Formula V2. 5 is the most popular of Fanatec’s ClubSport line because of its many advantages.
First of all, we particularly appreciated the design and the quality of manufacture of the Fanatec Formula V2 steering wheel. One look at this wheel and you can be assured of a very high quality construction with superb finishes. The choice of materials such as alcantara, metal or carbon fiber make this steering wheel both very beautiful and very robust. The LED display and OLED screen also give this steering wheel a high-end look.
Fanatec’s Clubsport Steering Wheel Formula V2.5 offers excellent ergonomics very good ergonomics. We were completely seduced by its very good grip, the feeling of the handles and buttons is really very pleasant. It is very easy to access the buttons, as well as the paddles, and they are triggered in a really natural way.
Another big advantage of the Fanatec Formula V2 wheel is that it is highly customizable. As you might expect, with so many buttons on a steering wheel, they must all have a purpose. It is clear that maximum customization is what Fanatec had in mind when they designed this wheel and their bet is certainly successful. The 24 buttons each have a programmable function depending on the game. This model also offers different options for the paddle shifters which can be upgraded to magnetic clutch or optional F1 style.
Finally, the ClubSport Formula V2 model from Fanatec offers us very good driving sensations thanks to a powerful and lively force feedback. Because of the energy of this flywheel, you may notice much more detail in the force feedback itself. This allows you to feel the road a little more than with other wheels and to improve even more during the race.
The Steering Wheel Clubsport Steering Wheel Formula V2.5 of Fanatec is not burdened with a long list of defects, it must be said. But this model still has some disadvantages.
One of the biggest drawbacks of Fanatec’s Formula V2 wheel, in our opinion, is unfortunately its price. With a price tag of almost 400 €, it is not the cheapest wheel on the market. Knowing that you have to couple it to a ClubSport Fanatec base to use it, the budget needed to use this wheel is quite important and we understand that not everybody can afford it.
Secondly, we found that the Fanatec Formula V2 was quite heavy. As soon as you take it out of the box, you notice that this model is not exactly light and that it might be difficult to grasp once in the game. It depends on taste and individuality, but this is a consideration for those who prefer to play with lighter weighted shuttlecocks.
Even though there are two versions of the Fanatec ClubSport Formula V2 steering wheel to offer a wider compatibility with the different platforms, you should know that the Xbox model is somewhat limited. These limitations can be frustrating for people who spend the majority of their time playing on an Xbox console.
Where to get it and for how much?
The Fanatec steering wheel is available for sale on the official website of the brand, at a price of 399.95 €.
Please note that Fanatec does not have any partnerships with other resellers. Their products are exclusively sold on their official website, unfortunately you can’t buy them new anywhere else.
Having already a few years of existence, you can eventually find this model for sale on second hand websites, such as Vinted or le Bon Coin. To avoid unpleasant surprises, however, pay close attention to the condition of the steering wheel before you buy it.
Our opinion on the Fanatec Formula V2.5 steering wheel
Overall, we found the Fanatec ClubSport Formula V2.5 wheel to be a great option for any simulation racing enthusiast who is at an intermediate level or for the more experienced who are looking for an F1 style experience.
This steering wheel model from Fanatec’s ClubSport line offers many customization options and is made of high quality materialswhich can last an entire career of simulation racing. While this may be a bit much for young beginners, we found that the Formula V2 of Fanatec was really an excellent wheel that offers incredible gameplay sensations.
If you are a true F1 fan, the Fanatec ClubSport Formula V2.5 is definitely what you need. You will have to break your wallet a bit, but you will see that it is really worth it.
Fanatec ClubSport Formula V2.5
An excellent steering wheel that offers an incredible playing sensation