Fanatec ClubSport Handbrake V1.5
- Integrated analog sensor for determining the braking effect
- Robust metal design and build quality
- Realistic sensations and comfort of use
- Customizable with different mounting options
- Compatible with the Fanatec ecosystem and other non-Fanatec products (PC only)
- Quite high price
- An adaptation time is necessary
- Slight play
Our rating : 9.7/10
All the big fans of simulation racing know how inconvenient it is to have to use a button on the steering wheel to operate as a handbrake and how it takes away from the realism of the race. That’s why the most passionate riders prefer to take their set-up to the next level by optimizing it with a racing handbrake.
The Fanatec brand is known as a leader in the Sim-Racing peripherals market for its high quality products. Their various handbrake models seem to be no exception.
That’s why we decided to check it out for ourselves and test their top of the line handbrake model: the Fanatec ClubSport Handbrake V1.5. In this article, we will tell you the main characteristics of this model, for which type of player we recommend it, what are its advantages and disadvantages, its price and also where you can get it.
Features of the Fanatec ClubSport Handbrake V1.5
The Fanatec ClubSport Handbrake V1.5 is a high-end handbrake designed and engineered for rally racing and drifting.
Here is a list of the main features of this model:
- This ClubSport Handbrake V1.5 model from Fanatec is a realistic 1: 1 replica of the handbrakes used in rally cars that is ideal for drifting.
- The construction of this model is all metal with a soft foam handle for leverage.
- The lever of the Fanatec ClubSport Handbrake V1.5 can be mounted in a horizontal position, as in a sports car, or in a vertical position, as in a race car.
- This Fanatec ClubSport handbrake features an analog sensor that allows you to enjoy a fully analog axle, rather than a simple on/off button experience, like in a real car.
- With the ClubSport USB Adapter, you can use this Fanatec handbrake on PC with any brand of racing wheel in many games.
- The ClubSport V1.5 handbrake can also be used on game consoles (PlayStation and Xbox) in games that support analog handbrakes, if connected via a Fanatec/race wheel base. Please check the information on the product page of the Fanatec product through which it will be connected to the console. It will not work on consoles using the ClubSport USB adapter.
- There are several mounting options that allow you to position the ClubSport Handbrake V1.5 where you need it. For example, the handbrake can mount directly to a ClubSport shifter, or screws can be used to mount the unit on the left/right side or bottom of the handbrake to your cockpit.
- The Fanatec ClubSport Handbrake V1.5 can be mounted on a table, vertically or horizontally, using a ClubSport Handbrake Clamp Adapter in combination with a ClubSport Shifter Table Clamp (both sold separately).
- Dimension: 48.5 cm x 18 cm x 12.5 cm (L x W x H)
- Weight : 1,5 kg
For what type of person?
The Fanatec ClubSport Hand brake V1.5 is ideal for rally fans, skidding and drifting enthusiasts.
It is perfect for games like Dirt, Dirt Rally, WRC, Assetto Corsa, but nothing prevents you from using it also with more realistic simulation games.
In our opinion, this handbrake model is not the most suitable for beginners who may need some practice before they can master it. However, it is perfectly suitable for regular or experienced players.
The Fanatec ClubSport Handbrake V1. 5 offers a number ofadvantages that we were able to discover through our test.
The analog sensor integrated in the Fanatec ClubSport Handbrake V1.5 is, in our opinion, one of the most interesting features of this model. Unlike many other handbrakes on the market, the V1.5 comes with a full analog shaft to determine the effect your braking would have. Unlike a simple on/off switch, you can initiate drifts while the wheels are still spinning fast. If handbrakes already add a lot of realism to your racing experience, this feature will have you falling in love with the V1.5 in no time.
Then, we were conquered by the design and the quality of manufacture of the Fanatec ClubSport Handbrake V1.5. As mentioned before, this model is made entirely of metal and is a 1:1 replica of the handbrakes you find in rally cars. It’s a handbrake that is therefore both very beautiful and very robust to the eye, but also in hand, thanks in particular to its fantastic construction quality and its high-end materials.
Another of the positive points of the Fanatec ClubSport Handbrake V1.5 is the comfort that this model offers and the incredibly realistic feeling that it provides. When you pull the lever, you really feel like you’re using the handbrake on a real car. Its touch and grip are really pleasant and its operation is very comfortable and natural.
Finally, we were attracted by the fact that Fanatec’s ClubSport Handbrake V1.5 is highly customizable. You can mount it where you need it and how you want it since the lever can be mounted horizontally like in a sports car or vertically like in a race car. You can also screw and mount this handbrake on the left/right side or at the bottom of the handbrake on your cockpit, but you can also install it on another support with the clamps and adapters provided.
In addition, Fanatec V1.5 is compatible with the Fanatec ecosystem but you can also pair it with non Fanatec products (for the PC only, with the USB adapter).
Following our test of the ClubSport Handbrake V1.5 from Fanatec, we could also see what disadvantages this model could have.
First of all, we find that the ClubSport Handbrake V1.5 from Fanatec is quite expensive. Its price is clearly justified by its quality but it represents a big investment that not everyone can afford. In addition, you will most likely have to add to its price an adapter and/or a clamp depending on the equipment you already have.
Then, we have to admit that to handle Fanatec ClubSport Handbrake V1.5 well, an adaptation time is really necessary. It’s not a handbrake that beginners will feel comfortable with right away, especially if you’ve been used to using a button on the steering wheel until now. To become truly proficient or skilled with this Fanatec model, you will still need quite a bit of practice to master it well.
Finally, we were a little disappointed that the ClubSport Handbrake V1.5 handbrake lever from Fanatec is a little “flexy”, that it can have a little movement. It’s not ideal for playing. Also, we’ve noticed that trying to press the handbrake button when your steering wheel is fully locked can be very uncomfortable.
Where to get it and for how much?
The manufacturer Fanatec has chosen to sell its products exclusively on its website, so unfortunately you can not buy them new elsewhere.
You can eventually find this handbrake for sale on second hand websites, like Vinted or le Bon Coin. However, to avoid unpleasant surprises, pay close attention to the condition of the steering wheel before you buy it.
The Fanatec ClubSport Handbrake V1.5 is an excellent handbrake that does its job. It will not only give you an incredible immersion in the race, but it will also encourage you to try more and more daring maneuvers and thus improve your performance.
This beautifully designed handbrake from Fanatec is sturdy, responsive and gives you a realistic feel for the game. Its price is certainly quite high, but is fully justified by its high quality materials and the many advantages that this model offers.
The Fanatec ClubSport Hand brake V1.5 is a must-have for any rally or drift enthusiast. So if you are one of them, don’t hesitate, this model is made for you!
Fanatec ClubSport Handbrake V1.5
A robust, responsive and realistic handbrake