In recent years, the world of video games, and especially Sim-racing, has been booming. With the release of increasingly realistic games, sales of gaming accessories such as steering wheels have exploded.
The Thrustmaster brand has clearly understood how to position itself among the market leaders by becoming more and more involved in the innovation of its products and in eSports in general.
That’s why we decided to take a look at one of its high-end steering wheel dedicated to the PC the Thrustmaster TS-PC Racer. We tested it for you and we’ll tell you everything you need to know about this wheel.
In this article, we will list its main features, tell you about the advantages and disadvantages of this model, tell you what type of player it is, how much it costs and where you can get it.
The characteristics of the Thrustmaster TS-PC Racer
The TS-PC Racer, whose particularity is its limited compatibility with Windows, is a high-end steering wheel from Thrustmaster.
Here is a list of its main features:
- The TS-PC Racer steering wheel designed by Thrustmaster is dedicated to PC drivers. It faithfully reproduces the reactions of the car and the condition of the track.
- This model is a Proto type steering wheel with a metal base and two large suede-covered grips for comfort during long play sessions.
- On the wheel are 6 buttons that provide easy access to the navigation menu and precise control of the progressive parameters. Among them are 1 rotary selector and 3 positions with push button for more reactivity in real time during the races.
- The steering wheel is equipped with 2 sequential paddles in metal and polished brushed aluminum.
- Therotation angle of the Thrustmaster TS-PC Racer is adjustable from 270° to 1080°.
- This flywheel features a 2ᵉ generation industrial brushless motor with 40 watts of power and features powerful force feedback effects.
- The Thrustmaster TS-PC Racer also features the H.E.A.R.T technology (HallEffect AccuRate Technology), which provides 16-bit resolution (65,536 values), and a flow-oriented control algorithm (F.O.C.) which allows the motor to react dynamically and quickly to high torque demands while compensating for power losses.
- This model features the patented MCE (Motor Cooling Embedded) cooling system that prevents the motor from overheating while keeping it quiet.
- The Thrustmaster TS-PC Racer steering wheel is equipped with an external TURBO power supply that provides constant power during play.
- This model is compatible on PC with Thrustmaster detachable wheels, with Thrustmaster T3PA and T3PA-PR 3 pedals, with TH8A gearbox, with Thrustmaster DB9 PEDALS T.RJ12 adapter, all sold separately.
- Steering wheel weight: 4.5 kg
For what type of person?
The Thrustmaster TS-PC Racer is an open wheel, primarily designed for single-seater and prototype racing, but not exclusively.
This design is great for road simulations where precision and responsiveness are required, but we found it slightly unsuitable for rally simulations or drifting.
The TS-PC Racer is a high-end steering wheel that has the advantage of being immediately adaptable to any type of user and istherefore very well suited to the demanding sim-racing community.
Our test of the Thrustmaster TS-PC Racer steering wheel allowed us to discover the advantages that this model offers.
At first, we were very pleasantly surprised by its powerful, flexible and responsive force feedback. It simply gives us a great feeling during the race. Stamina and velocity are remarkable and it’s also great to have a quiet steering wheel that stays cool in all situations and never falters.
In terms ofergonomics and comfort, we have to admit that the Thrustmaster TS-PC Racer is really top notch. We liked the fact that we could adjust the angle directly from the steering wheel, as well as its touch, the wheel being really pleasant to hold. It offers us a good quality-price ratio.
Another of the positive points of the TS-PC Racer steering wheel from Thrustmaster is its very good quality of manufacture. We thought the steering wheel was beautiful and we liked the quality of the finish. Of course, we find plastic, but it remains of good quality. The beauty of this model is the Alcantara and the leather, which make it very pleasant and realistic.
It should also be noted that the TS-PC Racer steering wheel is compatible with the entire Thrustmaster brand ecosystem, whether it be wheels or pedals. In addition, for PC installation, reliable software is provided so that you can make precise adjustments in the easiest way.
While we were able to appreciate the many advantages of Thrustmaster’s TS-PC Racer model, following our test we also discovered that this steering wheel has a number ofdisadvantages.
For us, it is obvious that the biggest negative point of the Thrustmaster TS-PC Racer steering wheel is that it is sold without pedals. This is a big disadvantage if we compare it to other models of the same price that, for the great majority, have pedals included with the wheel. This represents a significant additional budget for those who, like us, can’t do without them to play. Discover here our ranking of the best pedalboards.
Then, the fact that the TS-PC Racer from Thrustmaster is only compatible with Windows limits its use a little. For PC gamers, this is fine, but it prevents Xbox or PlayStation fans from trying it on their favorite platform. In addition, we found that even on PC, some settings can be tedious due to the lack of automatic recognition by the games, for example the management of profiles.
Unlike other Thrustmaster models, the TS-PC Racer steering wheel does not have the Quick Release system. This quick change system for the steering wheel would have been welcome, in our opinion. This would allow us to avoid having to use a screwdriver and spend a significant amount of time each time.
While we appreciated the quality of the materials used in the design of the Thrustmaster TS-PC Racer steering wheel such as suede, we also noticed that this particular material could be problematic. Indeed, if you tend to sweat with your hands, you will quickly find the grip complicated, even unpleasant. It’s impossible to play long sessions without using gloves.
The last thing we could criticize about this Thrustmaster model is its price. It must be recognized that this is a high-end steering wheel and that its qualities justify that it is expensive. Nevertheless, we consider that not everyone can afford to spend such a budget on a steering wheel and that its high price remains a disadvantage, especially since it is sold without pedals.
Where to get it and for how much?
The TS-PC Racer steering wheel is not necessarily the easiest model to find on the market. Currently, it is no longer among the products sold on the official site of Thrustmaster, there is only the model Ferrari 488 Challenge Edition available for sale on the site. Its official base price is normally 549 €.
However, you can find it onAmazon.com at a lower price.
You can also look on used product buying and selling sites, where Thrustmaster steering wheels are regularly found. However, we advise you to beware of overly attractive offers and to pay close attention to the conditions of the product before deciding to buy it.
The TS-PC Racer steering wheel is truly one of Thrustmaster’s gems. We can only salute the many qualities of this model which really won us over with its balance between control and power.
Even if it’s an expensive model that is sold without pedals, we have to bow to this splendid steering wheel that gave us a surprisingly realistic gaming experience. The strength of this little jewel, as well as its design and manufacture, immersed us in the race and made us feel like a real professional driver.
In our opinion, if you can afford to invest in the Thrustmaster TS-PC Racer, do so, you will definitely not be disappointed!